BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Great City, Great Work, Great Future!
Assistant City Clerk
NO. OF POSITIONS:
CUPE, Local 387
HOURS OF WORK:
35 hours per week*
$54,293 – $63,918 annually (under review)
The City has an exciting opportunity for a detail-oriented team player to join the Legislative Services team. Reporting to the City Clerk, you will provide specialized administrative support to City Council as well as various Committees, Boards, and Commissions. You will record minutes, oversee agenda preparation and bylaw administration, follow-up with actions and decisions, assist in the committee recruitment process, research and draft reports, supervise and train other employees, act in the City Clerk’s absence, be designated Deputy Chief Election Officer in the administration of local elections, and perform other related work as required
If many of the following characteristics and skills describe you, we want to meet you!
- You have completed a one year certificate in public administration from a community college supplemented by courses leading to a certificate in Municipal Administration at the intermediate level.
- You have considerable related experience within a municipal Legislative Services environment including Council and committee minute-taking, administering elections, plus some supervisory experience – an equivalent combination of education and experience acceptable to the employer may be considered.
- You have considerable knowledge of applicable sections of the Municipal Act, by-law provisions, municipal election process, office practices and meeting rules of procedures, regulations, and policies.
- You have a track record of making decisions in light of established precedence and resourcefulness in resolving new matters under minimal supervision.
- You have the ability to assist a supervisor in handling delegated administrative functions and act in the supervisor’s absence.
- You are experienced in supervising the work of clerical and enumeration staff, and participate in the selection and training of new staff.
- You have the natural ability to liaise with and establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of internal and external contacts and to explain rules, regulations, and policies related to departmental activities, Council, and committee actions and decisions.
- You have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- You are proficient in the use of common office equipment and related programs (e.g., Outlook, Word, Excel, Adobe Acrobat, Tempest, JD Edwards, Granicus, Provox, etc.).
- You are skilled in typing with a high degree of speed and accuracy.
- Your ability to work flexible hours is essential, as the position will require availability for evening meetings.
Apply by sending your cover letter and resume quoting competition #19-31, by April 26, 2019 to Human Resources, City of New Westminster, 511 Royal Avenue, New Westminster BC V3L 1H9, Fax: 604-5274619 or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The City of New Westminster welcomes diversity and encourages applications from all qualified individuals. We thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada.