BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Manager of Wastewater(Permanent)
If you are a Manager of Wastewater looking for an opportunity to work for a progressive Council and with excellent staff in one of the most beautiful settings on Vancouver Island, the District of Sooke is looking for you.
Located on the south-western tip of Vancouver Island, Sooke has a sheltered harbor, unlimited recreational opportunities, and is a scenic forty-five-minute drive from BC's capital city, Victoria. As a part of a temperate rainforest, the Sooke district has one of the mildest climates in Canada. Characterized by warm, dry summers and mild winters, Sooke’s pleasant climate is a year-round paradise for those who enjoy outdoor activities, such as hiking, biking, kayaking or sailing.
We are looking for an excellent Manager of Wastewater familiar with all facets of the municipal environment, who can direct the activities of a small but growing staff in the Wastewater Treatment Plant, bring forward practical solutions to the day-to-day issues that arise.
Reporting to the Director of Development Services, the Manager of Wastewater is responsible for managing the wastewater infrastructure including the Wastewater Treatment Plant and lift stations. The Manager of Wastewater will effectively lead a team of trained and experienced staff to ensure the safe and reliable operation and maintenance of the wastewater infrastructure. The Manager of Wastewater is responsible for working within wastewater treatment and collection processes, infrastructure, and meeting regulatory requirements.
The Manager of Wastewater is required to possess highly developed analytical, troubleshooting and decision-making skills, and maintains a high level of safety awareness and demonstrate safe work practices at all times.
To be considered for this role, applicants should have:
- Post-secondary education in Water and Wastewater Technology.
- Minimum seven (7) years of directly related experience in the wastewater field.
- Minimum four (4) years’ proven experience in a supervisory or managerial position with excellent leadership, coaching, mentoring and performance management skills.
- Minimum of Level II certification in Wastewater Collection and Level III certification in Wastewater Treatment.
- Demonstrated project management skills related to the direct oversight of internal improvement projects or participating in a large project team for major capital improvement projects.
- Valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License. A Driver Abstract will be required.
- Knowledge of treatment processes, laboratory procedures and equipment.
- Knowledge of electrical, instrumentation and SCADA systems.
- Knowledge of safe work procedures, WHMIS, confined space entry, first aid and TDG.
- Ability to be on standby and respond within 30 minutes to after hours calls.
- Able to meet the physical demands of the position.
This is an exempt management position. The salary for the Manager of Wastewater is $95,000 per annum, plus an excellent benefit package. To view the full job description, visit the employment page of our website at www.sooke.ca/employment. Please quote 2019-001 and indicate the position you are applying for in the subject of your email, and submit your detailed resume and cover letter outlining your interest and experience for this opportunity to: email@example.com.
Closing date for receipt of applications is 4:30 p.m. Monday, April 22, 2019.
The District of Sooke thanks all applicants for their interest and advises that only those to be interviewed will be contacted.
Location: Sooke, BC
Region: South Vancouver Island
Professional Categories: Sewer & Wastewater
Posted: March 25, 2019, 12:30 pm
Expires: April 22, 2019, 4:30 pm