Located on the south-western tip of Vancouver Island, BC, Sooke has a sheltered harbor, and is a scenic half hour drive from BC's capital city, Victoria. As a part of a temperate rainforest, the Sooke district has one of the mildest climates in Canada. Characterized by warm, dry summers and mild winters, Sooke’s pleasant climate is a year-round paradise for those who enjoy outdoor activities, such as hiking, biking, kayaking or sailing.
The District of Sooke has an employment opportunity for a Firefighter. Reporting to the Fire Chief through the chain of command, the Firefighter is responsible for combating, extinguishing and preventing fires and saving of life and property. The position of the firefighter is a multi- facet position requiring a flexible and organized approach. All personnel shall possess a level of knowledge as outlined, of all aspects of fire suppression, rescue, hazardous materials response, prevention, inspection duties with a mechanical aptitude to maintain and operate a variety of equipment and safe driving of vehicles is essential. The Firefighter will participate in training as required by the Department training program, and participate in fire prevention or inspection programs, as well as participate in the regular scheduled rotation as duty officer or duty crew member in an after-hours capacity.
To be considered for this role, applicants must have the following minimum requirements:
- Completion of Grade 12 or recognized equivalent.
- Maintain Certification to Level III of the first responder program.
- Maintain CPR certification and AED endorsement.
- Completion of NFPA 1001 level II.
- Maintain a Valid Class 3 BC Driver’s License with Air Brake endorsement (with six (6) demerits or less); an annual Driver Abstract will be required.
Preference will be given to applicants with the following qualifications:
- Completion of NFPA 1002 Apparatus Driver Operator.
- Completion of NFPA 1035 Public Educator I.
- Completion of NFPA 1031 Fire Inspector I.
- Completion of NFPA 1041 Fire Services Instructor I.
- Training department approved courses specific to Hazardous materials response, rope rescue or specialized auto extrication techniques to the technical level that are current to meeting the skill sets of this job function.
- Demonstrated familiarity and knowledge of the Region.
- Volunteer firefighting experience in a composite Fire Department.
This is a IAFF position. The salary for the Firefighter is as per the Collective Agreement, plus an excellent benefit package.
To view the full job description, visit the employment page of our website at www.sooke.ca/employment
Please indicate the position you are applying for in the subject of your email, and submit your detailed resume and cover letter outlining your interest and experience for this opportunity to:
Closing date for receipt of applications is 4:30 p.m. Monday, July 31, 2017.
The District of Sooke thanks all applicants for their interest and advises that only those to be interviewed will be contacted.
Location: Sooke, BC
Region: South Vancouver Island
Professional Categories: Fire & Rescue Services
Posted: July 17, 2017, 8:30 am
Expires: July 31, 2017, 4:30 pm