BC Local Government Job Posting Service
AuxiliaryThe City of Coquitlam is the sixth largest city in BC, home to more than 150,000 residents. Our municipality continues to grow through innovative urban design, inspiring arts, culture and recreation programs, and state-of-the-art transportation systems. Our brand is built on managing our resources in a responsible and sustainable manner, while supporting a vibrant, growing regional urban centre.
We are looking to hire auxiliary Communications Operators to complement existing staffing levels in our Operational Communications Centre at the RCMP detachment. If you are a compassionate person with a strong desire to help people, this may be the job for you. In this position, you will work as part of a team while responding to 911 emergency and non-emergency calls for service. You will employ your exceptional listening skills to extract pertinent information from callers, enter critical details into police systems, and remain calm in stressful circumstances.
Opportunities for auxiliary Communication Operator 2 positions are also available for those with current police dispatch experience.
Our ideal candidate is a respectful and diplomatic individual who possesses sound judgement and decision making skills. You are poised and tactful, with the ability to make decisions quickly and accurately. Strong attention to detail and exceptional multi-tasking skills are essential.
You will also meet the following requirements:
- Completion of Grade 12. Preference will be given to those with additional education, training, or related experience (e.g. courses in Public Safety Communications, Criminology, Conflict Resolution, Crisis Intervention, etc.)
- Advanced computer skills or computer training, and the ability to type at a net speed of 35 words per minute.
- Availability to work rotating shifts in a 24/7 operations centre (days, nights, weekends, holidays).
- Considerable geographical knowledge of the Tri-Cities and surrounding area.
- Ability to obtain and maintain an RCMP Enhanced Reliability Security Clearance.
- Previous call taking experience would be an asset.
In addition to a CUPE hourly rate of $25.31 - $34.98 (2019 rates) and benefits package (12% in lieu of benefits), you can anticipate a lively, fast-paced environment plus opportunities for personal and professional growth.
Please apply online by 5 p.m. February 29, 2020 at coquitlam.ca/jobs.
The City of Coquitlam is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.