Board of Examiners
The Board of Examiners recognizes and supports the work of local government employees. Its principal goal is to improve the professional skills of British Columbia''''s local government employees. The board achieves this goal through certification and scholarship programs.
The Local Government Employees Certification Regulation (BC Reg. 324/2005) came into effect on December 31, 2005. This regulation has modernized the certification program and places greater emphasis on making the certificates grounded in a competency basis. Four new certificates have been introduced:
- Certificate in Local Government Service Delivery
- Certificate in Local Government Administration
- Certificate in Local Government Statutory Administration
- Certificate in Local Government Executive Management
Complete information about these programs may be found on the Board of Examiners web page.
There are four policy documents that accompany the new regulation. These documents are necessary in order to understand all of the requirements for certification. The documents are:
- Policy Regarding Core Courses
- Policy Regarding Equivalent Experience in Another Jurisdiction
- Policy Regarding Professional Development Endorsement
- Policy Regarding Subject Areas Related to Local Government
Copies of these policies may be downloaded from the Board of Examiners web page.
Previous Certificates to Continue for Two-Years
As of December 31, 2005 a two-year transition period took effect in order to allow sufficient time to accommodate in-stream applicants. Local Government staff that need some more courses, or additional work experience, in order to qualify for an existing certificate, will be considered in-stream and will have until December 31, 2007 to meet the eligibility requirements for the existing certificates. The previous certificates are:
- Intermediate Certificate in Local Government Administration
- Senior Certificate in Local Government Administration
- General Certificate in Local Government Management
- Advanced Certificate in Local Government Management